Thursday, December 3, 2009

George Malley and Arrowheads

A couple of weeks ago I got an email from my niece Lynda which read, "Are you free Sat or Sun for a few hours? Rick wants you to come walk in the mud with him."

Rick is Lynda's husband. I've written about him before. He's the guy that knows she's an artist and he "buys her chairs". He is her George Malley from the movie Phenomenon.



My heart skipped a beat. Walking in mud means only one thing....searching for Arrowheads and other Native American artifacts. It's right there with searching for T-Rex bones!

Lynda said I would need to bring a flask to offer up to The Gods. I didn't have a flask but I did stop off and buy some mini-bottles to fill my pockets! My hair in braids and we were off....



Through the mud,



and more mud ....



.... and then he spotted the first one. A beautiful pinkish one. An hour later and I spot my first. A mind blowing brown one. I was ecstatic!!!!



I spot something else sticking out of the mud, he laughs and says it's a Bobbie Bryan artifact (it's nothing more than the top of a wine bottle!)



Throughout the day we find bits and pieces, I treasure them all....



At the end of the day, we leave muddy boots in his garage and sit at the kitchen table. He shows me a rock that he had previously found. A weight that the Multnomah tribe had used on their fishing nets. I am nothing short of awestruck!



He gave me that rock. And as I drove away from one of the best days I have spent in a very, very long time, I realized that Rick....the gentle giant our family knows him to be, is actually THE ROCK of our family.

Thank you Rick for a wonderockin' day!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Ohhhh, what a great post about a great day! You do the most fun things of anyone I know.

    ReplyDelete