Thursday, June 30, 2011

She's My Oprah and I'm Her Gayle

When I heard the date of the final Oprah show, I knew immediately who I wanted to watch it with. Thirty eight years ago, in the Pacific NW Bell Directory Assistance office, I met Gina. We were both 18 and we both had Pinto's! It was a friendship waiting to happen and it became sanctioned one evening when we decided to drive out to the tiny town of Estacada, to find some "real" men at the Safari Club. From that night on, our friendship would be cemented with secrets and truths. She is always up to participate in my silly shenanigans and when I do things "I shouldn't do" she still loves me.



She said to come over ~ that she would make us happy hour hor d'oeuvres. She's one of the best cooks I know. I made face signs so that Tom, Gayle, Stedman and John could join us.



I arrived and true to form, she had outdone herself yet again. Hummus and Pita Bread, Veggies and Cheeses and the best Pickled Green Beans I have ever had!





We fix our yummy plates and she pours our champagne. We are set and settled in to watch Oprah's farewell.



It was the perfect way to spend the afternoon. She truly is my Oprah. She knows so much and is always the first person I call when I need to know something about anything. Her memory is impeccable. And on top of that, she has this keen sense of knowing what to ask me to get me back on my path again.

The show is over and she gives me that last part of my birthday gift. She knows that I love to receive mail and also that I love white wine. So how great is this?



The next weekend Stan and I along with Gina and Don and "Slick" Vic decide to visit Mary Olson's Airlie Winery. (She's one of the Vice President's I used to do budgets for; she is for sure one of the greatest to ever work for!).






We finish the day with a quick stop at the Dairy Queen by the winery.




It's like I spent the day with Oprah, Stedman, Tom and John. Wine, soft ice cream, french fries and great friends. Bliss!

4 comments:

  1. Bobbie - One of you has my Elsie Cow Doll Cookie Jar! How silly is that! Mine was my grandmothers and was passed on to me.. Great post by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have her! I grew up with one as well :) Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha - another one of those amazing life connections!

    ReplyDelete