Thursday, July 7, 2011

In the Mean Time ~ Sharing The Artist's Way and Jesse Reno

An evite came from Dayna last month to join she and Howard on their "yacht" (they call it a boat but it's an awfully HUGE boat!) on the 4th of July on the waterfront. I have been invited before but have always been out of town. I was very, very excited to be in town this year and be able to attend.

In the mean time, after I had received Dayna's invite, I got an email from Catherine who lives in the Washington DC area. She is an artist who participated in the Tiny Book Exchange that I participated in earlier. She is a lover of the Northwest, having previously lived here. We exchanged emails and agreed to swap books with each other if we did not receive them in the swap. Her book creations/submissions are spectacular and very unique (hers are one of my most favorite in the swap)and extremely coveted.



In the mean time, Catherine begins reading my blog and I tell her to be sure to check out Dayna's blog. She reads the one about Dayna taking a class given by Jesse Reno and tells me how much she admires his work (she as well is a fantastic pen and ink artist!). My brain begins to swirl because I know that Jesse Reno is going to be on Dayna's boat on the 4th....hmmmm.

In the mean time, I pack up a baggie filled with tiny black and white sheets that will fit into Catherine's book I am making her, black pens, white pens, acrylic and watercolor crayons (part of my brain swirl).

It's now the 4th and Stan and Kristi and I head down to the waterfront. The day is warm, the sun is out and we can hear the blues festival in the background.





In the mean time, I am on board and sitting with Destree. I tell her about "my baggie" and she shoots me one of her "You Go Girl" smiles (but advises me to lose the baggie!). I find Jesse and tell him my story about Catherine's love of his work and ask if he could possibly sketch/draw a couple of little pieces. He agrees to do it and my heart is skipping a beat. He comes and sits with us and not only draws one...but five, yes FIVE! I tell him how much I appreciate what he is doing and that a present with be forthcoming to him.





The rest of the afternoon is spent meeting people I have heard about. Kelly who just recently moved here from Wisconsin and has created the most funny, hilariously entertaining video blog ever!



Meeting and talking with the infamous "Gretchin" who once upon a time taught Dayna The Artist's Way so that she could teach so many of us.



Dayna would drive to Portland each week just as I would drive to Salem. I know Dayna understands what all she means to me and how instrumental she has been with me trying new adventures (maybe it's that drive we both made!).

In the meantime, Yoga Dawn shows up in time to watch the fireworks with us and Gretchin has glow necklaces and bracelets for all.





This has truly been one of my most favorite 4th of July's ~ seeing old friends and meeting new ones. I sent Catherine her five sketches yesterday (I already know she will be giddy with delight when she opens her package).



Thank you Dayna for the invite and for making the drive to Portland many years ago to take that class from Gretchin. My life is most definitely "not the same" since meeting you! And in the meantime..........

3 comments:

  1. It really makes me smile to read this post Bobbie! I am so glad you connected with Catherine through the wee book swap and such serendipity after that, wow. Looks like you are having fun with your granddaughter (?) too -can that be? You look very young for a grandmother!
    I have you down for the 1000 post giveaway on creative swaps, thanks so much for entering & good luck! : ^ ) lenna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post Bobbie! You inspire me to start up my own blog, something I have been procrastinating on doing for a long while, but am growing closer to accomplishing! Thanks for sharing! P.S. Love Jesse's little drawings and had no idea he taught!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did I miss this at the time??? I was so very thrilled to get the drawings and Bobbie's beautiful folded book, not to mention the envelope they came in, which is still an article of admiration in my household. Bobbie, people like you make the world a better place. You have so enriched my life in a short time, just by being you.
    Catherine L Mommsen (I have to post as anonymous, Blogger still refuses to recognize me from time to time.)

    ReplyDelete